Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: The Masked Detective, Fall 1940


The first issue of a fairly short-lived hero pulp from the Thrilling Group. I know I've read a reprint of the lead novel, but I don't remember a thing about it. Maybe it wasn't even this one. It might have been one of the other Masked Detective yarns. The author behind the C.K.M. Scanlon house-name was the very prolific Norman Daniels, who wrote many of the Phantom Detective novels, among other things, and could always be counted on to produce readable if not particularly memorable stories. He went on to write scores of paperbacks after the pulps went under, and I've also heard that he really wrote all the Gothic novels published under his wife Dorothy's name. Don't know if that's true, but given his speed and versatility, I wouldn't doubt it.

No comments: