Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Wings, March 1935


I don't know about you, but I think that's a really striking cover. I don't recall ever reading anything by Franklin H. Martin, the author of the story it ilustrates, but I have read a number of stories by Joel Townsley Rogers, the other author featured on the cover, and enjoyed them. Rogers is also the author of THE RED RIGHT HAND, a classic mystery novel that I have a copy of and ought to read soon. This issue also contains an article by F.E. Rechnitzer, a prolific contributor to the aviation pulps and the creator of the Lone Eagle.

4 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I remember the artist Rafael Desoto once mentioned to me that an art director told him that covers with skeletons and skulls seemed to sell better than other covers. They certainly were more noticeable on the newsstands.

Sean McLachlan said...

This has to be one of the coolest covers you've put up.

Cap'n Bob said...

I once saw a comic book cover that had a squad car full of skeletons in police uniforms menacing a babe sitting in the front seat. I have no idea who published it, but that image has stayed with me since the fourth grade.

mikechomko said...

You definitely should give Franklin H. Martin a try. He's one of the best writers who appeared in WINGS.