Sunday, May 19, 2013

Music I Like: Stardust - Nat King Cole


It's hard to beat a classic song and the great voice of Nat King Cole, one of the best voices of all time. When I was in college, after listening to a number of different versions of "Stardust", I was inspired to write a private eye novella set in the 1930s called "The Stardust Man". Probably about 30,000 words. And that's really all I remember about it. I'm sure it was terrible. Long gone, of course. But I've always liked the title. Maybe I'll use it again one of these days.

2 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

I prefer the instrumental, but Cole does a nice version.

Ron Scheer said...

I'm in total agreement with you, James. This recording evokes summer nights in the 1950s, driving on country roads in Nebraska. Willie Nelson's version is fine, too.

I believe the song inspired Woody Allen, too, for the title of STARDUST MEMORIES.