Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Movies: Lawless

I'm going to try again to start blogging more about the movies we watch, even if the posts are pretty quick and informal. We watched this on New Year's Eve and I really enjoyed it. It's based on a true story about a family of bootleggers in Virginia during the Depression and hits all the usual action movie beats just fine. The acting is good all around, with Tom Hardy excellent as the leader of the family who believes himself to be invincible. Likable heroes (even though, technically, they're criminals), a despicable villain, a little humor, a lot of action, great music . . . what's not to like?

Also, watching this gave me the same feeling that JUSTIFIED does, an undeniable sense of "These could be some of my relatives." I come from a long line of hillbilly stock, although it's Ozark-based, rather than Appalachian.

No comments: