Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Paths of Righteousness: The Complete Collection of Science Fiction Stories by James Reasoner

Yes, it's another new e-book for the Kindle and Nook, and it wouldn't exist without the help of a number of friends of mine who helped me get my hands on copies of the stories: Bill Crider, Gary Lovisi, and from Fictionmags, Gordon Van Gelder, Ned Brooks, Terry Zobeck, Art Lortie, Ellen Datlow, and George R. Morgan. The subtitle is accurate but also a little tongue-in-cheek, since the complete collection of my SF stories has only five stories in it. I've read and loved science fiction for almost as far back as I can remember, but I've written very little of it. All five stories are fairly long, though, all of them novelettes or novellas, and add up to just about 50,000 words. When I was reading back over them, getting them ready for this e-book edition, I was struck by how much I was influenced by the adventure SF published in the digest magazines during the Fifties and Sixties, even though these particular stories were written in the Eighties and Nineties. I've always been a bit of a throwback.


Come to think of it, actually I've also collaborated on a science fiction novel, which is going to be reprinted next year in a new edition. But more details about that later on. For now, this book represents all my less-than-novel-length science fiction.  I say "for now", because working on it has got me hankering to write some more SF. We'll see.



4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

More would definitely be welcome. I'm looking forward to this one as well.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool, man. I'm ordering this one right away. Looking forward to it. I've not read any of your SF.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool, it just showed up on my kindle! :)

Steve Lewis said...

I like the way you're hankering, James.