Sunday, August 07, 2011

Afterthoughts - Lawrence Block

AFTERTHOUGHTS, by Lawrence Block, is a new, very affordable e-book collection of all the afterwords and introductions Block has written for the e-book editions of many of his novels, plus a few other bits of non-fiction including a bio and a number of photographs I'd never seen before. It functions as a memoir of sorts stretching from his earliest days as a writer up to the point where he began to achieve considerable success with his Matt Scudder and Bernie Rhodenbarr novels. I was especially interested in his comments about writing erotica as Sheldon Lord and Andrew Shaw, since I'm fascinated by that era, and also in what he had to say about his early crime novels published by Gold Medal, since I bought and read many of those books off the spinner racks when they were brand-new. Block's reminiscences are just as well-written and entertaining as his fiction, and even if you haven't read all the books he's talking about in this collection (I certainly haven't, although I'll probably get around to most of them eventually), I think you'll really enjoy what he has to say about them and about his life while he was writing them. Highly recommended.

7 comments:

Lawrence Block said...

James, thanks so much for this. It means a lot, not least of all because of who it's coming from.

Jerry House said...

Just one more reason I'm kicking myself for not having an e-reader.

mybillcrider said...

Ditto, James. Great stuff, for sure.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Anxious to read this after his terrific book Writing for Fun and Profit. Ebooks do change lives.

MissQ said...

I couldn't agree more, James!

Rick Ollerman said...

I still want a print version. I'd rather put the book on the shelf with my other Blocks than have a file on my Kindle or Sony Reader (I have both but I don't buy books for them).

Lawrence Block said...

Rick, there's a print book coming. In two forms, actually—a signed limited hardcover from Otto Penzler, and a print-on-demand trade paperback from Open Road. Details on my blogsite when I have them...