Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mr. Brooks

Earl Brooks (Kevin Costner) is a successful businessman in Portland, a family man with a beautiful wife and daughter. He’s also a serial killer with an imaginary serial killer buddy. Things start to unravel for him when somebody discovers his crimes but instead of trying to blackmail him for money, the guy wants in on the killing. Meanwhile, the millionaire cop (Demi Moore) who’s after the Thumbprint Killer, as Brooks is known to the police, has other troubles of her own: she’s going through a messy divorce, and another serial killer she put away in the past (the Hangman!) has escaped and is looking for her to take his revenge on her.

Then things get really complicated.

This is a weird, creepy movie that’s so unpleasant that it’s hard to watch in places. But it’s very well made and I have to admire the twistiness of the plot. I’m not a big Demi Moore fan, but she’s pretty good in this movie, and so is Kevin Costner, who succeeds in making a guy who’s basically a monster seem sympathetic at times. The action scenes, some of which really come out of nowhere, are very effective. But I still don’t know if I like the movie or not. I didn’t doze off during it, though, that’s for sure.

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

James, you had me at 'He’s also a serial killer with an imaginary serial killer buddy.' I was thinking about picking out a movie tomorrow and I'll look for Mr. Brooks -- sounds interesting.

Charles Gramlich said...

I actually liked this one quite a lot.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My feelings exactly, James. Two unlikeable characters working in tandem was tough. Too much about Demi Moore's personal life pulled you out of it, but maybe you needed the relief.

Juri said...

I haven't seen this, but it got very mixed reviews here in Finland. One critic, whose taste I trust, however liked it a great deal, so I'll definitely seek it out some day.

Vince said...

I have to confess I enjoyed this movie, one of the more unhinged studio films I've seen in a while. The filmmakers intended this to be the first in a trilogy, and I'm a bit disappointed that the follow-ups won't be made.

Anonymous said...

i had a feeling Costner would make some kind of a comeback, he's not such a bad actor