Friday, January 18, 2008

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

There’s no way I can judge this movie objectively. FANTASTIC FOUR is my all-time favorite comic book, and the stories used by the movie as source material come from what I consider the best three-year run in the history of comics, FANTASTIC FOUR #25 – 60. So of course I liked FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER. I was right there reading about most of the stuff in it when it first happened.

Oh, I could quibble about a few things, of course. I don’t like the movie version of Dr. Doom. I wish we could have actually seen Galactus. And where was the Watcher? Plus there are no really good clobberin’ time moments for the Thing. But the computer-generated Silver Surfer looked good, and Lawrence Fishburne seems to be channeling James Earl Jones in providing the voice for the character. Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans are fun as usual as Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm. The script captures the spirit of the comic book stories, even though it changes them a little more than I would have liked. And at an hour and a half, the movie proceeds at a nice, brisk pace and seems a lot more focused than the overstuffed (but much more financially successful) SPIDER-MAN 3.

RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER got what I consider an undeserved critical drubbing. I liked it quite a bit and thought it was better than the first Fantastic Four film, as well as staying truer to its source material than either of the Spider-Man or X-Men franchises. If they want to make more of them, it would be just fine with me.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I liked this one better than the first as well, mainly because I really liked the silver surfer character. FF was my favorite comic of the early days as well. And I agree, the Dr. Doom just doesn't work for me.

jyotsna said...

Nice movie buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a great action,thriller,adventurous and a historical movie.i really enjoyed it. You too can download and enjoy d movie here
Download Fantastic four rise of the Silver Sufer movie