Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece -- Erle Stanley Gardner


Erle Stanley Gardner piles up the complications early on in this Perry Mason novel from 1936, when Mason was still a grinning, wise-cracking tough guy, at least part of the time. In this one we have a millionaire with the bad habit of sleepwalking with a bloody carving knife in his hand; his beautiful, astrology buff niece; a hypochondriac, black-sheep-of-the-family half-brother; a golddigging ex-wife; a crackpot inventor who may be a crook; and assorted other hangers-on and shady characters. Everybody winds up spending the night in the millionaire’s Hollywood mansion, including Perry Mason, and in Gardner’s version of an Agatha Christie/old English house sort of mystery, somebody winds up dead. Mason’s sleepwalking client is charged with the murder, so Mason, Della Street, and Paul Drake plunge right in with the usual mix of snappy banter and questionable legal shenanigans to prove the client innocent and uncover the real murderer.

Gardner is in pretty good form in this one. The story zips along really fast, the wisecracks are funny, and there are some nice long courtroom scenes in the final third of the book. I had the murderer pegged pretty early on, which is unusual for me when it comes to Gardner’s books. I sometimes have trouble figuring out what happened even after Mason has explained everything. But I’ve discovered over the years that for books that are so plot-heavy and supposedly light on characterization, it’s not the plots I remember from them. The fun is in the pace and dialogue and the interaction among Mason, Della, and Paul Drake. And, of course, in watching Mason confound the long-suffering Hamilton Burger and Lt. Tragg (or in this case, Sergeant Holcomb, who hadn’t been replaced by Tragg yet). THE CASE OF THE SLEEPWALKER’S NIECE is only an average entry in the series but a perfectly enjoyable way to spend some time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like Perry Mason and you haven't seen the original TV series with Raymond Burr, you should check it out. The first two seasons are now available on DVD--finally--and they're really excellent. Very tight writing. Complex, intelligent plots. A great ensemble of actors and a classic noir atmosphere. Highly recommended.

James Reasoner said...

I watched a lot of the original Perry Mason TV episodes when they were first broadcast and have seen many of them since in reruns. The images of the actors are so engrained in my mind that when I read these early novels I see all the TV show actors even though they don't really match up that well with Gardner's version of the characters. I agree that it's a great series and have thought about buying the DVDs, but I already have too much stuff around here that I've bought to watch "whenever I have the time" -- in other words, maybe never.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you said that about being unable to figure out Gardner plots even after they're explained. I'm like yu, the fun is in the charcaters and the scenes. Even the A.A. Fairs always start to lose me plotwise about halfway through. Wheels within within wheels...Ed Gorman