Saturday, October 01, 2005

New Project

Yesterday I finished the book I'd been working on, so today I was able to get started on something new, which is always a good feeling. In this case it's a little different, because I'm writing a short story (or maybe a novelette, I don't know yet how long it'll turn out to be), and it's on spec (I'm targeting it for a particular anthology, but there's no guarantee at all that it'll sell there), and it's science fiction. I've been a reader and fan of SF for more than forty years, but I've written very little of it in my career -- a couple of stories that sold to small press magazines and a handful of stories and novel proposals that never sold. I'm a believer in the theory that different types of stories use different writing muscles, though, so I thought it was time to give SF a try again. I think I've done a pretty good job on my research, I've come up with the sort of plot that I can write effectively, and I like the characters I've put in that plot. So far -- and I estimate that I wrote between a third and a half of the story today -- I've had a very good time with it. So we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Juri said...

Good luck to your SF story!