Sunday, August 07, 2005

Adventure, November 1, 1929


Here and on the WesternPulps group, I've posted this scan of the cover from which last week's cover was "swiped". This is the November 1, 1929 issue of ADVENTURE. You can see last week's scan, from SHORT STORIES, July 25, 1938, here. The ADVENTURE artist is Hubert Rogers. The SHORT STORIES cover is by A.L. Tilburne. Thanks to Ed Hulse for the information and for this cover scan. (By the way, the "Tut" referred to on the cover is Western author W.C. Tuttle, whose work was a staple in many pulps, including ADVENTURE.)

A common argument in pulp fandom is over which was the best general fiction pulp: ADVENTURE, ARGOSY, or BLUE BOOK. I'm sort of an ARGOSY man myself, although there are times when I prefer BLUE BOOK. However, ADVENTURE was a fine pulp, too, and I've enjoyed every issue I've ever read of it. You can't go wrong with any of those big three, as far as I'm concerned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Blog-spamming! Inevitable, I guess. Some day, I'll get around to gathering some issues of SHORT STORIES and seeing how they stack up. (Probably front to back, yes.)

James Reasoner said...

SHORT STORIES is a fine pulp, with many of the same authors whose work appeared regularly in ADVENTURE, ARGOSY, and BLUE BOOK. I especially like the covers from the "red sun" era.

I've deleted the spam, but I'm sure it'll be back sooner or later.

foxysadgirl said...

Just thought you might want to know the short stories cover was done by A.R. Tilburne not A.L. Tilburne. He was my great grandfather.