Friday, July 29, 2005

More Jimmy Olsen

I finished reading the second volume in DC's reprinting of Jack Kirby's run on SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN. I don't think the stories in this volume are quite as good as the ones in the first volume, or maybe I just have a more nostalgic connection to those issues. Anyway, not-quite-as-good Kirby is still pretty darned good, and these stories are great. Unfortunately, his run on JIMMY OLSEN ended after fifteen issues. In fact, even though Kirby's "Fourth World" mythology had a huge impact on the DC Universe for many years, especially his creation of the villain Darkseid, none of the titles in which that foundation was laid were successful enough to last more than a couple of years. His history after he left Marvel in 1970 is a string of brilliant ideas that were too eccentric to find widespread acceptance among comics readers of the time.

Which brings me to Stan Lee. I think the pendulum has swung from Stan getting too much credit to Stan not getting enough credit. Yes, Jack probably plotted most of their stuff. But Stan knew how to write to Jack's strengths and his dialogue and captions made even the most nonsensical concepts seem believable. I've reread a bunch of Stan's work in the Essentials volumes, and even though he could get silly at times, when he was taking things seriously I think he was the best comic book writer I've ever read. Stan was at his best working with Jack, and vice versa. All you have to do is take a look at FANTASTIC FOUR #36 - 60, the best run of any comic book. Ever. In my opinion, of course.

No comments: