Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Horseless Carriages

I seem to have shifted from spending a lot of time on plumbling problems to dealing with automotive matters. Yesterday I took one of our cars in to be repaired, this morning I got the oil changed in another one and then had it inspected, and this afternoon I picked up the one that was at the shop and left another one there to be worked on. Thank goodness I know a guy who's an excellent mechanic. I can work on cars when I have to but prefer not to. Of course, not all the plumbing problems have gone away. They've just been back-burnered until I get all this other stuff taken care of.

Page count today: 12. I'd still like to finish the book this weekend, so that means I have 50 to 60 pages to write over the next four days. That's certainly possible.

I'm reading some more in that military SF anthology I mentioned a few days ago. The first two stories, which I really liked, were by Poul Anderson and Philip K. Dick. The one I'm reading now is by Joe Haldeman. I'd have to check, but he may have turned it into part of his novel THE FOREVER WAR later on. It's been too long since I've read that book to be sure without looking at it. Either way, I'm enjoying the novella version in this anthology.

Was sorry to hear that James Doohan has passed away. I always liked Scotty a lot. The writers never gave his character much depth, but Doohan made him highly likable anyway.

No comments: